Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ELAC RD-100: Motor stopping from time to time and flips sometimes don't flip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ELAC RD-100: Motor stopping from time to time and flips sometimes don't flip...

Hi,

I have been owning the ELAC for about 15 years now, and for the first 5 years it had been working on my desk without any complaint. Then malfunction established, the motor with that white and red stripes stopped. I remember that I had done some research on the net back then, but I gave up after my first attempt when I had opened the casing. I think I even went far enough to open the housing of the gear box to lubricate it. Unfortunately, the problem remained. Thanks god I did not throw the beauty away, but that's never been my mentality.

Now, ten years after, we have done some renovation in one sleeping room, and I was thinking about putting a beautiful clock on the night table (though I still can remember that once I had the RD-100 next to my bed, I had replaced it with an RD-150 because the flip clock was making a humming sound - which I think is normal).

So yesterday I plugged in the old RD-100 and the motor started running instantly, and flipping the numbers correctly, at least for some thirty minutes. Needless to say that the radio is still sounding good...

When I dismantled the whole clock today it appeared that some of the threads in the housing had broken off, the speaker was even lying in there freely. As I could save all the plastic, I think have a chance to glue the pieces into place again. But that is not the problem.

As I explained, the motor and / or the gearbox seem to have issues, and maybe the clockwork itself, too.

It is always possible to make the motor run again, by giving it just a tiny tiny push with a finger. I also lubricated the gearbox again today. But to me, that does not seem to be the problem.

Does anybody have the experience that the Copal drive itself can wear out, so that it just stops? I am not firm enough in electronics to say if there's something like brushes that wear down after 40-50 years (and cannot be replaced here, as I guess after some research - why should people transplant those drives from one device to another if they could be repaired).

Or do I have to lubricate anything else, maybe the main axle with the flip packages? If so, how do I do this? Maybe the drive has too much labor with that "flipping axle"?

I thank you in advance for sharing your ideas.

Henning
    Last edited by hotelzulu; March 5, 2017, 05:11 PM.

The motor probably just needs to be cleaned. If you check out the following video at about 5 mins into the video I demonstrate how to clean the motor.

~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
    X